Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Inspiration.

As you know if you read this blog with any sort of frequency, I am on the verge of quitting the day job and becoming a full time writer.  While it is exciting, it's also scary.  I'm used to a pretty decent paycheck and not having to hesitate if I want (not need, just want) a new pair of shoes. 

However, I know someone else who is taking an even bigger leap of faith to follow his dream.  His name is Kit Martin and he is the General Manager of the gym I go to.  He has a passion - hang gliding - and has harbored a long time dream of becoming an instructor.  Like me, he is used to having a steady and pretty good paycheck.   So when he went to upstate NY to get certified as an instructor and the hang gliding school offered him a job, he faced his own decision. 

He gave notice to the gym on April 1st and his last day is the 15th.    And, while he is younger than I am and single and childless, it still can't have been easy for him to decide to give up the good money and pack all his belongings in a pickup and move clear across the country to a place he's only been to one time.   A place where he has no family or friends, just because he had the opportunity to do the kind of work he's always wanted to do.

Yet he choose to go and follow his dream.  For this, I will always remember him.  Especially when I get frightened at the prospect of trying to make a living off my own dream, which is writing.  It *is* scary to give up that regular and cushy paycheck, but I can only imagine how fulfilling it will be to finally be able to do what I regard as my life's work. 

I hope it is equally fulfilling for my friend.  Fly high, Kit.  I wish you well in pursuit of your dreams.

1 comment:

Regina Richards said...

Two great examples - you and Kit -of people who have the courage to follow their dreams. Gives me a little push to do the same.