Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Next

I turned in The Wolf Siren today.  In between dealing with my mother's illness, I wrote.    My editor, the wonderful Patience Bloom, mentioned in passing that writing might be my escape from the real world.  I'd never thought of it like that, but you know what?  It is.

Because the situation with my mother is so touch and go, because I don't know when that phone call will come, I knew if I was going to have a prayer of turning that book in on time and keeping my Feb 2014 slot, I'd have to totally immerse myself in it and just finish.  (Or, as is the joke between my husband and myself, as Ricky Bobby would say "Get `er done!")

So I went to the hospital for a visit on Friday and got up at 6 am on Saturday, and sat down and wrote.  And wrote.  And wrote.  I came up for a quick break to go get dog food and visit my friends at the Pet Fair for Legacy Boxer Rescue.  I came home and wrote more.  All day.  I wrote an amazing amount of words - for me.  Close to 5,000.  I cut around 1300.  The book came in at around 81,500 words - 364 pages.   And I'm happy with the story.

I finished up around 4:30 pm on Saturday, so Lonnie took me to dinner and then we got groceries.  Sunday, I read it over, made some changes and adjustments, and added more description to secondary characters - I tend to forget to do this sometimes.  Monday, I went back to the hospital to visit, came home, read some more, swam and cooked out, made some margaritas, and enjoyed the rest of Labor Day.

And here we are today.  I did a few final changes, and emailed the book to my editor, Patience Bloom.  She is the kindest person - she saw my post about my mother on Facebook and emailed me not to worry about the deadline.  That gesture meant so much to me - but this is my job and my livelihood, plus I'd already finished.  So I thanked her and let her know the book was done.

And it's sent.  I emailed it a few minutes ago.

Today I'll clean up my desk, as I always do after completing a project.  I need to get back to exercising - that fell by the wayside when my mom got taken to the hospital at midnight after a call to 911.  Though I have continued, by calorie counting, to lose my one pound per week.  Slow and steady, but eventually I'll be 20 pounds lighter. Which should help my cholesterol.  

This book The Wolf Siren is the final book of a six book contract.  Now I need to work up a couple of synopsis's and get with my agent.  It's time to see about a new contract.

Finally, I'll close with a note.  The Lost Wolf's Destiny is now out!


Buy it on Amazon HERE

No comments: