Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Garbage

Today I got two emails about my October book Texas Secrets, Lovers' Lies.  Both came from an email address at earthlink.  Different email addresses, but the EXACT same email.  Different names signed the email - one was a Kathy, one a Paula.

It was the most hateful email I've ever received in 38 books.   Supposedly, this person spoke to the Editors at Harlequin and received an apology as my book is not up to the standards of the publisher.  She called my book garbage, my characters sex-starved (though she complained about my sex scene), and many other things.

I won't bother to rehash everything this person (Kathy, Paula, whoever) said.  All I can say is I'm super glad I'm not a beginner writer.  Otherwise, having received an email like this, I might never have written another book.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  So much anger and hate.  Over a book.  A fictional book.

I'm dealing with my mother slowly dying.  In my volunteer job for Boxer Rescue, I see people dump off dogs they've had for 14 years just because the dog is old, or abuse puppies, or starve dogs.  I see all kinds of awfulness, and yes it does eat at my soul.

I needed this vile letter - twice - like I needed a hole in the head.

So today I'm going to put it aside and move forward, because that's all I can do.  I'm not going to respond, because I suspect people like that feed off generating drama.

On the plus side, I got a third email from someone else on my September book who loved it and called it a keeper.  I did reply to that, and thanked her.

No comments: