Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday March 10, 2011

I'm writing.  Writing at home, writing at the day job, writing in my head.  I'm working on my current Pack book that's due May 1st (working title The Wolf Princess).  My word goal is 1000 words a day, every day but with Sundays off.  So far, it's going very well. 

This is not always the case.  Sometimes books are difficult, the characters want to go their own way, make their own paths.  This book, which has unique challenges, is different.  Not easy, per se, but smooth.  At least it feels that way as I'm writing it.  Maybe the unique challenge of a blind hero is enough to keep me on my toes, I don't know. 

Possibly the seamlessness is due to the fact that I haven't gone back and endlessly re-read what I've written.  When I do that, I agonize over word choice and scene choice and end up starting over and starting over and starting over, and... you get the point.  I once started a book over 8 times!  I hope to finish up with enough time left over to go back and fix anything that needs fixing.  If I keep writing according to plan, this will happen. 

This book will be my 34th published work.  Yikes!  My 24th for Harlequin, once it actually gets published.  I have my 22nd coming out in June (CEO's Secret Baby), and the 23rd in January 2012 (Wolf Whisperer).  I go back to contract after I turn this book in and am looking forward to writing more Romantic Suspense and Nocturnes.  But it never gets any easier!

I used to think once I got published, I would suddenly know the secret to writing.  I sold my first book in 1997 and in the 14 years since then, any such secret hasn't revealed itself to me, magically or otherwise.  Instead, I have learned that writing is a lot of hard work and dedication.  And often fun, when you don't let the demons of self-doubt side-track you.

Now I'd better get back to it.

No comments: