Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Musings

So last night I was reading and half-heartedly watching American Idol and I sent myself an email to remember to blog about the book I'm reading.  It's unlike anything I've ever read.

I'll get to that in a moment.   First up, on an email loop I'm on, someone mentioned this article.

Self-Published Authors Are the Cool Kids

It's very true.  It used to be, if you self-published, it was only because no one else wanted your stuff.

These days, some of the most amazing things are happening.  I heard Belle Andre speak at the Novelists, Inc. Conference in NY last October and her story was jaw-dropping.  The same with Barbara Freethy. 

And then I read this article - hugh-howey/self-published-book-wool-movie  and knew I had to buy this book on Kindle.  This is the book I'm reading.  It is amazing - interesting story, totally well written (the detail of the writing makes me envious!)  It will make a great movie too.

Like a lot of authors, I've published my backlist.  Those ten books are doing ok, providing me with some income.  Ok, the amount suprised me when tax time came.    I'm under contract, constantly on deadline (I'm nearing the end of a six book contract), but like a lot of authors, I have other stories swirling around in my head waiting to be written. 

For the first time ever, I'm considering writing a book and self-publishing it.  But on the other side of that coin, I have a fabulous agent, and might let her shop the book if I ever finish it.  (I'm bad about that.  Writing the contracted books takes all of my time, so I never get around to writing anything else.)

So, what's an author to do?  Like everyone who works for a living, I'd like to make more money.  I'll have to think about it.

And continue to write.  And write.  And write. 

No comments: