Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday, March 4th, 2011

I'm glad it's Friday.  I'm tired and the writing - the most vital part of my day - comes slower when hampered by fatigue.  Just like when I'm working out, by the time I get to the third repetition of a set, I'm not able to go all out, full steam ahead. 

However, I was talking to the manager of the gym last week and learned he's a hang glider aficionado.  Immediately, I began thinking of how I could use this in a book and asked him if he'd mind if I periodically asked him questions.  He said ok, but I think the poor man was a little shocked at my questions - I was trying to get into the mindset of a hang glider, as in what makes them want to do this and what do you get out of it.  Finally, he just brought me a book to read and I have that now.  It's on the mechanics of hang gliding, and sort of interesting, even though the idea of soaring like that both repels and fascinates me.  As with everything else (like surfing) the people that do it make it look effortless, but there is a lot of knowledge and training and preparation involved.  And I've only just begun to skim the book.

So look for that soon - maybe a hang gliding shapeshifter?  Or special ops guy.  Who knows. 

No comments: