Thursday, July 8, 2010

7-8-10

A New Day

I have this quote taped over my computer monitor = "Amateurs wait for inspiration. The rest of us just get up and go to work. Chuck Close"

How true is that?

A lot of people have misconceptions about writers. I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me if I just write when "the mood strikes me" or I "get inspired". I wish. (or maybe I don't.)

The reality is this. Writing is a job. A wonderful, often angst-filled job, but one nevertheless. We have contracts and deadlines and if we want to have a prayer in meeting our obligations, we have to plant our behind in the chair every single day and write.

And by write, I don't mean "churn out pages", which is another statement often made to me. As in "I guess you need to go churn out those pages." Hmmph.

Oh, Oh, here's another one. "Why can't you just do what Stephenie Meyer did and dream a book?" Hey, let me tell you, I wish I could. I wish it were that simple. Believe me, even if Stephenie Meyer dreamt a scene from her mega successful series, a hell of a lot of work went into plotting and writing the scenes. And I mean A LOT. If you doubt me, try writing down one of your dreams. See how coherent that is and you'll get what I mean.

I've also been asked when I'm going to write a "real book." As if the books I write are what, fake book? Believe me, a lot of work goes into writing the category romance books I write. Plotting and character development and finding the write word and the perfect scene... you get the idea.

I love my books. I'm proud of them. And while writing them is real, honest to goodness, work, it's work I wouldn't trade for any other. Sometimes a book comes out and wins awards or gets a 4.5 Star, Top Pick in Romantic Times Magazine. Other times it comes out quietly, without a lot of fanfare, but then the readers send me emails and letters and I know it made an impact, a difference. I'm grateful for that. It means a lot to me.

Speaking of writing, I'd better get back to it.

Here's my picture of the day! Things that make me happy - My favorite restaurant in San Antonio, on the Riverwalk.

No comments: