Wednesday, July 7, 2010

7-6-10

Passion, Drama, and Creativity.

I listen to a lot of music. All kinds, from Country to Hip-Hop/Rap to Rock. My I-Tunes library is pretty good sized, and I continually add to it.

What got me started on this topic is creativity. I was thinking about what kind of things fuel my muse and music is definitely one of them. Many of my books were written with various theme songs - Keith Urban, Amy Lee, Pink, Eminem, Nickleback, Sugarland. The latest Eminem song LOVE THE WAY YOU LIE is what got me thinking.

First off, whether or not you like Rap, Eminem is, in my opinion, an amazing songwriter and artist. This latest song featuring Rhianna is (in my interpretation) about a man who justifies every violent act he does in the name of love. He even has the woman sing that she loves the way he lies and she likes pain and taunts him to go ahead and watch her burn. Because that's how men like that think.

The first time I heard this song, I cried. Just about every time I listen to it, I cry again. But I tell you what, it makes you think. I was in a relationship like this - I think a lot of people have been at some point in their life. Maybe not the abusive part, but the volatile, nose to nose, screaming and yelling and crazy drama. Awful, yes, but true to life. Listen to this song. Go ahead. I challenge you. I especially like the part we Eminem sings "it won't happen again, I promise. Next time I'll hit the wall. No, wait, there won't be a next time, i swear. I tell you I'm sorry, I apologize, even though I know I'm lying." Not the exact words, but close enough to get the drift.

Every day we hear stories about some man that burns his house down with his wife or girlfriend inside or shoots her. It always breaks my heart, having been in this type of situation. This song breaks my heart for another reason. Because Eminem GETS IT. Exactly. And I don't get the sense that he actually BELIEVES it, just that he's been there and now he can step back and take a look and sees how crazy it is.

Long, rambling post, I know. To get back on track, this kind of thing fuels my creativity. Because it's so freaking creative on the artist's part. And this song, this song is destined for some book not yet written. Thanks for that, Eminem.

No comments: