Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Attitude

I'm copying the title today from my friend Anna Adams .   She talks about work ethic and about how I have a good one with my writing.  It's funny, but I always think I should do better, do more.  Honestly though, on the whole I'm okay with my writing work ethic.  I make my word count goals and turn my books in on time, and that's good.  What I *don't* do that I wish I did is work on the other projects, the non-contracted ones.  The Young Adult novel I've started.  The Woman's Fiction book I want to try. 

But the real area I need an attitude adjustment is in the area of fitness.  Once upon a time, I had a personal trainer and I went to the gym four days a week and did resistance and weight training as well as cardio.  I lost 20 pounds and felt fit and strong.  I have totally let that slack away to almost nothing.  And I've gained every bit of the weight back.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm lazy when it comes to fitness.  Without an appointment every day and a trainer to "crack the whip" over me, I'm not motivated.  I have weights, a mat, an exercise ball, resistance bands - heck, I still even have a gym membership.  I have exercise DVD's, books, and I subscribe to Oxygen, Shape, and Fitness magazines.  I *know* what I need to do.  Doing it is just another matter.  That's partly why I think Cross Fit might be a good fit, but it's still too expensive for my self-employed writer budget right now.  Sooo...  I've got to adjust my attitude.  Starting with what I eat and drink. 

Attitude is everything.  I need to schedule appointments with myself as my own personal trainer, diagram my workouts as if a trainer was giving them to me, and just DO it.  Cliched, but true.

Starting off, I'm going to go back to eating clean.  That's the first step because after all, you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. 

So, here we go.  Once again.  Focused.  New attitude.  I can do it.  I WILL do it. 

No comments: