Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday April 13, 2012

OMG, It's Friday the 13th!  I didn't actually realize it until I typed today's date.  I've been emailing with a friend and we started talking about reading tastes vs writing tastes and I realized I don't read anything similar to the kind of books I write.  I rarely read Paranormal, unless it's YA. Mostly what I read for pleasure is Fantasy, Single Title Contemp, Thriller, Horror, or YA. I don't know if that's good or bad, but the instant I start reading a book that is in any way similar to mine, I can't read it. I don't mean in plot or anything, I mean in writing style.  It's like I'm reading my own stuff, which is very difficult for me to do (especially after writing it, revising it, doing line edits, doing final edits!)


Some books I've recently read are:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdom Series by NK Jemisin (3 books)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Still Missing by Chevy Stevens
Home Front by Kristin Hannah
Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers (reading this one now)
11-22-63 by Stephen King
Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinski
Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

As you can see, none of these is even REMOTELY like what I write. In fact, they're all different from each other!  Shrug.  Kind of like my taste in music.  On my Ipod I have heavy metal, pop, hip hop, rock, country, soul, R&B, folk, classical, and even a few rap songs.  

In my music and my books, I like variety. 

Speaking of writing, even though Harlequin hasn't yet approved my synopsis, I'm going ahead with writing the next Harlequin Romantic Suspense book.  I'm really liking the characters and the story so far - just about finished the first chapter.

Happy Friday.

No comments: