Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This morning I'm feeling a bit reflective.  I've been hearing a lot of bad stories about a business I use and I confess, it's got me wanting to take myself and my business elsewhere.  Basically, the owners are a-holes and the things they do to their employees makes me cringe.  And their two managers - the General Manager and the Office Manager act as their minions and participate in some awful, awful stuff.  For example, to take a long term, dedicated employee into the office under the pretense of wanting her input and not tell her the phone was on speaker and ask her opinion of the owners.  All "confidential" of course.  And then when she was honest, to fire her over what she said.  Seriously.  There's a lot of other stuff going on - more than what I know - and as soon as I can, I plan to take my business elsewhere.  Of course, it's not the employees fault at all and it certainly explains the high turnover rate there.  In the past couple of months, I know of four or five employees that have left.  They just keep hiring new ones.

On the other side of the coin is my wonderful Vet's office.  Two doctors - Dr. Metcalf and Dr. Peek.  Basically the same office staff for years. Fantastic people.  They know me by name (and my three dogs) and treat me as a valued customer.  I've been going there for years.  Today I was telling Dr Peek that I could get one of my dog's medicines cheaper on the internet and he asked me what I pay for it and I told him and he said he would match the price.  He's a caring guy and a great vet, as is Dr. Metcalf.  They are both a bit gruff, but have hearts of gold and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Once again, this underscores the truth of how important customer service is in any business.  Not my writing business, unless you consider writing the absolute best story I can to be good customer service.  Which it is, in a way.  But I'm talking about my other business, the day job, the insurance agency.  I have customers there that we've insured for over ten years. 

Ah well, better get back to work.  I have a little while to write before I go into the day job.

No comments: