Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday October 20, 2011

Sorry I've been MIA.  I was supposed to go to St. Petersburg, Florida for a writer's conference, but on Monday my mother went in for a routine procedure (an ERP where they put a scope down her throat and look at the pancreas and also take a biopsy).  Something went wrong and a tear occurred in her bowels.  She was transported by ambulance to another hospital and had emergency surgery to repair the tear.  The surgeon - an amazing doctor - had hoped to remove the tumor while he was repairing the tear, but it had grown and was attached to a blood vessel.  He said normally he would have constructed another blood vessel and tied that one off and removed it anyway, but the tear was too bad and life-threatening.  She had a second surgery on Tuesday to insert a drain that goes into her intestine and her liver.  She is totally jaundiced as the tumor is blocking her liver duct and part of her stomach/intestine.

Yesterday, my mom was moved out of the ICU and into a regular room. Her jaundice is fading thanks to the drain.  She is on a feeding tube and the plan is, once she's recovered from this surgery she will start radiation and chemo.  Once the tumor shrinks enough, the surgeon plans to go back in and remove it.

So, I have been at the hospital every single day, often for all day.  Monday I got home after midnight and Tuesday night I didn't get home until 9 pm.   Last night was better - six pm and I made my husband take me out to Chili's.  Obviously, I haven't been writing.  I'm exhausted and foggy and working on half a brain. 
On top of that, I think I've sprained my ankle. 

Anyway, just wanted to let you know why I vanished off the face of the earth.  If you are a praying person, your prayers would be greatly appreciated. 

No comments: