Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Those of you who know me, are aware that I'm not much of a plotter.  I'm more of a "eh, let's see where this takes us" type of writer.  And while I do go to contract on "blind" books, I still have to send in a synopsis of what the story will be about.

Shhh - don't tell anyone - but my synopsis is bulls**t.  (Of course, after over 20 books with them, I'm sure the publisher has figured this out by now!).  I write a synopsis, turn it in, get it approved, get paid, and then tuck it away and forget about it.  The only thing that stays the same are the two characters, the location, the time of the year, and the basic set up. 

After that, it's all to the wind...

So the book I'm working on now is due May 1st.  Right before my BIG birthday.  I've got like three chapters left to write.  I'm having to figure out how to resolve everything, including the suspense angle, and most especially the romance angle.  Yesterday, I was writing away and my hero got into a room and a place and a dog appeared (that I didn't know about) and then... the coolist thing ever happened.  My character knew why he was there and it was a plot point to move the story forward and I had no freakin' idea!  And I'm the author!  Gotta love these characters.

And this guy is so hot.  He's Pat Monahans, who is the lead singer in the band Train.  Yummy!

Back to it.

No comments: