Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wow, taking three days off from writing doesn't make it easy to get back into.  I've been working all day and have yet to make my word count for the day.  Plus, today is the 29th anniversary of my husband's and my first date.  But I will continue to slog away at the word count so I can walk the dogs and then be rewarded with some sort of celebratory dinner.

Technically, or at least as far as I'm concerned, summer is over.  We had Labor Day and for once, the weather here in Texas is cooperating.  It got to 58 degrees last night and the high today is supposed to be mid-eighties.  It's supposed to be like that all week.  Yay, cuz I love me some fall weather!

This weekend is not only the Sunday I get to bring my new Boxer puppy home, but the tenth anniversary of September 11th.  Like everyone else, I'll never forget where I was that day when the first plane crashed into the World Trade Center.  We were at work and our employee Marilyn came in and told us she'd heard on the radio about some plane crashing into some big skyscraper.  We turned on the break room TV and bewildered, watched as the second plane hit. 

That day was full of tears, shock, and terror.  All the skyscrapers in Dallas were evacuated.  Our phones at work went eerily silent.  I called my Dad, who was at the hardware store where he worked and had no idea.  By then, the Pentagon had been attacked.  He freaked out and had to go so he could call his wife.  I called my mother, but got her answering machine.  I called my daughter, who was attending college at Texas A&M in College Station. 

And when we got home, we sat glued to the television, trying to make sense of a world that had suddenly, irrevocably, changed for the worse.  We didn't understand, how could we guess at a hate so deep, that vicious, that it could do something like this.  All the people lost, the pain , the bravery, our country in mourning.  Even remembering now, ten years later, makes me cry.

Every September 11th since then, I've posted a simple photo of an American flag, with the words "NEVER FORGET".  As if we ever could. 

No comments: