Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday, February 25, 2011

This morning while driving to the bank and then work, I listened to Kidd Kraddick interviewing Simon Cowell about his upcoming show The X-Factor.  Because I adore Simon (and have the teeniest crush on him!), I listened intently.  I was impressed by how Simon (who is mega, mega rich) is already out pounding the pavement to promote his new show.  It doesn't even air until September. 

The man is brilliant.  And interesting, even if he does have a healthy ego, to say the least.  But confidence is attractive and Simon's is well-earned.  His new show sounds fascinating and I will be watching.  I'm very competitive myself and can readily identify with a lot of what Mr. Cowell said.

How, you might ask, does this relate to writing?  Because one of Simon's remarks really stuck out for me.  He said (and I paraphrase here) "In the end, all I can do is make the show I would want to watch."

Bazinga!

Just like with so much else beyond my control, all I can do is write the book I'd want to read.

Good luck, Simon Cowell and X-Factor!  I don't think you'll need it, because the show will be a success.  How can it not?

1 comment:

Regina Richards said...

Hi Karen,

I spoke with a woman once (a playwrite) who lives in England and had visited with Cowell at a party held by a mutual friend. She said he is a "truly good sort". I always like to know that people I admire in their public life are also great in their private lives.

Thanks for reminding me that even the rich and famous have to keep putting in the time and effort. Knowing the big names still have to work at it encourages me to keep working at it as well.