Thursday, December 26, 2013

It's Over (Whew!)

Christmas is over and I woke up still exhausted this morning.  Christmas Eve was different - Lonnie and I went and visited my mother's grave.  He gave me privacy and I sat on the bench by her - so close I could reach out and touch the granite.  My brother had bought a little Santa ornament and hung into there with a stick-on hook.  I brought some holly and silver ornaments and put them with the Santa.  I'd also gotten two scratch off tickets since she'd loved them so.  I talked to her awhile and scratched them off and left them for her (they didn't win.)  I cried.  Christmas Eve has been, for a very long time, a time we spent together.

Afterward, Lonnie took me to McAlister's Deli for lunch and then we went on home.  I cooked all the sides for the next day's Christmas dinner.  My daughter came over and we all went to eat at Cristina's Mexican Kitchen.  It was enjoyable.  Here's our tree on Christmas Eve, loaded down with gifts.

And my daughter and our newest Boxer, Peyton.

Finally, I set a beautiful table - which again made me miss my mother, as she took such pleasure in the fancy table.

The day itself was busy, but nice.  I still had the ache inside though.  I made cinnamon roles like I always do. We had coffee and Lonnie put Amaretto in his, like he always does.  Steph came over and I made maple bacon, another tradition.  We opened gifts.  I got Boxer earrings, a boxer tote bag, a custom made boxer blanket, a new purse, sneakers, pj's, and a surprise gift - Garth Brook's boxed set  - Lonnie must have listened when I was complaining how I couldn't buy his stuff on I-Tunes!  I'm listening to it as I type.

Later, my Dad, my brother, and his girlfriend and her daughter came over. She's seven. It was a delight have a child again at Christmas.  We all ate a big feast of ham, scalloped potatoes, cheesy spinach casserole, and glazed carrots.  I'd made pear and apple cobbler for desert along with Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream.
The once again, we exchanged gifts.  I got a bottle of tequila.  My brother seemed to love his leather motorcycle jacket!  And the little girl appeared to like all her stuff - barbie, tea set, stuffed frog, new jacket.

Everyone was relaxed and happy.  It was a good day.

By the time everyone went home and Lonnie and I cleaned up, I was beat.  Today, I'm back to work, working on the synopsis for the Colton's of Wyoming book - Dead River Danger!  It's fun.  And a welcome distraction.  I still need to finish up on The Long Wait, which is now due February 1st. (Dead River Danger is due April 1st), so I'm going to be super busy.  That should help.

One other caveat - in the days leading up to Christmas, Legacy Boxer Rescue, where I volunteer, was super busy.  I think we had 11 dogs pulled from shelters or from owner surrenders in the days leading up to Christmas. Lonnie and I even transported one, a cute little female named Tierney.  Made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday, full of family and friends, good food, and gift giving.  Hold that family close, as I can promise you that you will miss them when they're gone.

No comments: