Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

This morning I am sitting in front of my computer, half-finished mug of coffee in hand, all the email checked and the blogs read and the work-in-process opened in front of me.  I've played cards on the computer, typed a few paragraphs, checked emails, and then here I am.  At my blog.  Avoiding writing.

I could blame this on lack of sleep.  Hot flashes, insomnia, and a sore ankle kept me up most of last night.  The new puppy slept through the night, so there was that at least.  My body is stiff and sore and feeling every bit of my 50 years.  I got up at 5:30 am instead of 6, let the dogs out and fed them, and began my day.  So I should be ahead, well on my way to getting my 1500 words.  Instead, I'm avoiding them. 

Oh, I'll get them.  I always do.  Every single day for the past month except one, the day after we got home with our new Boxer puppy.  I go to the gym every day too, and sometimes I have to write afterwards if I haven't made my word goal, but I make it.  I should (fingers crossed) finish this book before I go to Florida for the Novelists, Inc. Conference.  It's due November 1st, which is a Tuesday, and I will definitely be on time.

Writers write.  Eventually.  It's not the writing that's hard (ok, sometimes it is), but the actual GETTING there.  I have to get into the story, which usually happens right about lunch time.  Since my husband is a stickler for routine - he must eat at noon sharp - I have to abandon the book and fix lunch and eat - but then it takes me forever to get back into it after my lunch. 

I guess I'd better stop avoiding and get back to writing.  I wonder what avoidance tactics other writers use - and I know they do - we all do. 

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: