Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday, August 29, 2011

Now that I've finished posting about my vacation, it's back to real life.  Two weeks ago today, we lost our little Daisy Mae.  She is sorely missed still. 

I started a photography class last week.  I bought it on Groupon and it's four weeks long, one hour per week.  We're learning about aperture and shutter speed and depth of field.  All stuff that I've longed to understand.  We even had an assignment, which I've completed exactly half off.  I go back for my second class later this week, so I've got to finish by then.

In writing news, I'm working on the next Harlequin Romantic Suspense.  Since it's not actually contracted yet and I don't have an actual deadline, I'm simply trying to do a certain number of words a day. 

One of my other goals since quitting the day job was to learn Adobe Photoshop, which I got for Christmas.  I practiced with it all weekend and actually made a new book cover for Lone Star Magic.  I bought the image (it's Jimmy Thomas) for $10 and then added text.  I really like it.  See what you think.


I changed it out at Barnes and Noble and Amazon, though Amazon takes longer for some reason.  I'm hoping this will increase sales on this book, which has historically been my slowest earner.

Next up in the self-improvement thread, I'm going to learn to use Dragon Speaking Naturally, another program that's been sitting in a drawer.  I just got my rights back to five more books, those very early Kensington Precious Gems.  They're so old that I no longer have the file on diskette or computer, and my choice is to pay for a scan or try to type them in myself.  Since I'm guessing they might need some editing as my writing skills have grown in the 13 years since the first one came out, I'd like to put them into the computer myself and edit them before putting them on sale.  At least I can now make my own covers, for a fraction of the cost!

No comments: