Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful Tuesday

My friend Anna Adams wrote a great Thanksgiving post on her site Ann'a Blog   It made me feel nostalgic, remembering when I lived in the NE with all my cousins on my dad's side.  We'd go to my Aunt Maryanne's house and all get together, just like what Anna wrote about. 

Now, I'm in Texas.  I still have family (Aunt, Uncle, and two Cousins with their respective spouses and children) in Massachusetts.   And I have an Aunt and two cousins and their families down in Clearwater, Florida.  At Thanksgiving, on alternate years we have a full house here - my brothers and their significant others, my nephew, my daughter, my mom and her partner, and of course me and my husband. 

This year, our gathering will be quite smaller.  My first Thanksgiving with my father in 16 years.  But because it's an alternate year, my brother goes to his in-laws, along with my nephew.  My other brother has plans, and my Mom and her partner are having the meal with her partner's daughter and husband.  So it will just be four gathered around the table this year.

While I enjoy big gatherings, this year I will enjoy the smaller one too.  Less pressure, more relaxed.  I'm still cooking a bunch of food - that's what I do an what I enjoy.  We'll parcel up leftovers and send them with my daughter and my father, as well as keep some back for us to enjoy. 

I have a lot to be thankful for.  I'm very glad that both my husband and I have good health.  Sure, we've each had a few set backs along the way, but basically we're good.  I'm thankful for our 25th anniversary - we made it 25 years!!!  I'm thankful we are able to take a trip to celebrate that milestone.  I'm thankful he loves me still and that I love him. 

And my daughter.  I'm thankful and proud of her.  I enjoy hanging out with her and texting her and hearing about her adventures as a teacher.  Ad of course I love her very much.

I'm thankful that for the past year, my mom has managed to keep her Pancreatic cancer at bay.  So far, the Chemo has worked and it's still confined to her pancreas.  I'm glad we get to celebrate another Christmas with her and her partner.

Oh, and I can't forget the dogs.  Mitchell Thomas, Mac Macadoo, and Liberty Belle.  I adore my fur-children and love that I get to spend all day with them sleeping in my office while I work. 

So there you have it.  My list.  What's yours?  Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 comment:

Anna Adams said...

Hey, you! Just saw this post. As I may have mentioned before, I'm thankful for your friendship, and so glad we've managed to stay in touch. I still miss those Thursdays at Starbuck's!

I'm also thankful for my beloved, who's making a sweet potato souffle as we speak, and my girl, who's making the most of online shopping, and my brother-in-law, who's catching up on a little snooze time.

I'm thankful for another Thanksgiving! ;-)