Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday Roundup

It's Friday.  I can sum up this past week in one word.  Sick.  Yes, it got worse and worse, though honestly Tuesday and Wednesday were the absolute worst.  Today I finally broke down and made a doctor's appt for this afternoon.  I was hoping to beat this on my own.  But since it made me miss Halloween - one of my favorite holidays, and since even with the Mucinex D, I'm not getting better, it's time to get a Z-Pack or something.

Sigh.

I did finally get back to heavy duty writing yesterday.  I tried on the other days, but my head was buzzing and I ended up crawling into bed and giving up.  But yesterday, I got back on track because my book is due 12-1 after all.  And there's a major holiday in there plus a major anniversary and trip to Vegas.  So... I have to be very much a stickler about meeting my word goals.  And it looks like I'm going to need to start working on weekends, which I hate.  Ah well.

While at the conference, which focused mainly on the business side of writing, there was on craft class.  Donald Maas has a new book out, so he was talking about that.  It was very interesting because he had us think of the last scene we'd written before attending the conference.  Then he asked us to write down the viewpoint character's strongest emotion in that scene.  Then he said now write the second and third emotions. 

After we'd done that, he had us pick the second or third emotion, assign it a color and an animal, and write a scene with the character experiencing that emotion.  I did and was so happy!  Talk about deeper.  So now I'm going back and re-editing my story, which is now well over 200 pages, and it's going to be so much better. 

Also today someone posted a great review of my first Pack book, One Eye Open.  It was very nice to read it and made my day. It makes writing a lot easier when I read something like that.

No comments: