Monday, May 14, 2012

Writing Fast

As I mentioned, I signed up to do Candace Havens Fast Draft Workshop.  Basically, it's timed writing.  You announce in the loop your page goals and then when you've finished, you announce what you've accomplished.  Candace says you can write a rough draft of a book in two weeks if you write 20 pages a day.  Then you spend the next two weeks editing.

I'm all for that, especially since my next book is due July 1st. 

I must say, I surprised myself today.  I set the timer and tried to write in 30 minute increments.  I ended up having to do this on my Alphasmart because the lure of the internet on the computer is too strong.  Sadly.  I learned that I can write in 20 minute increments but 30 is too long.  Like Candace said, it took me about two hours of dedicated writing to get 20 pages.

Of course you've got to have a rought outline/synopsis/chart - something to make sure you go in the right direction.  I had the plotting board, so I used that. 

But I did it.  Early too.  I finished by 3 and actually had time to go to the gym and work out for 30 minutes!  Yay me!

I hope this continues to work this well for the next 13 days.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: