Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Hot August Days

Here we are, in what is likely my least favorite month of the year.  August.  Where in Texas the heat index is so high it makes my stomach hurt to stay outside very long and where the air quality causes alerts.  As in, dangerous to breathe. 

Ugh.

The grass starts to turn brown, no matter how often you water it.  The electric bills soar, but I'm still grateful for air conditioning.  There are no good shows on television, and we've watched all the good ones on Netflix and Prime.  I read a lot, walk early in the morning (Hello, 7:30), and dream of fall.  Or what passes for fall around here.  Cooler temps, shorter days, and the return of all my favorite shows.  Yes!

Kids will be going back to school in a couple weeks.  Teachers start this week.  Back to school sales are running constantly, and there was just a couple of horrible mass killings at a Walmart in El Paso and a nightclub in Ohio.

So much darkness.  Arguing and hatred spewing and I don't even recognize our country any more.  I try to be light-filled, I try to love everyone and respect their viewpoints that might be different than my own.  I understand each and every person has their own journey to make, their own lessons to learn.  But that doesn't stop the pain. 

It.  Freaking.  Hurts. 

As does feeling powerless to do anything about it.  I tried the whole calling my representative, sending emails.  It was like a voice crying in the darkness.  Nothing changed.  I'm not sure why.  And on social media, I watch name-calling, finger-pointing, hatred and enmity and see the darkness swirling stronger.  I back away - back away from Facebook and Twitter - and retreat to Instagram where there are only lovely photos. 

I cuddle my new puppy, and love on my other dogs, and pray. 

No comments: